Baking is a funny thing for me. I’ve never tried developing my own baking recipes until lately. It’s still only something that I do once in a while…when I’m feeling that the possibility of failure would be okay for today. And, when it’s not an important element to a meal and we could live without it.
I decided tonight that cornbread would be a safe bet to tinker with. I love a good cornbread, but I love it even more when it’s not just cornbread. I love a little extra with my cornbread. I hope you do too and that you like a little heat in your cornbread!
Tonight, I made this with these two recipes:
Refried beans: http://salubriousrd.com/2014/03/refried-beans-lick-bowl-delicious/
Cilantro Lime Rice: http://salubriousrd.com/2014/06/cilantro-powerful-herb-cilantro-lime-rice/
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow or white)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (grate it fresh if you can)
- 3 teaspoons diced jalapeno pepper (about 1 small pepper)
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Spray a 8x8 baking dish with non stick spray
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl
- Add all wet ingredients to well: milk, oil, egg and honey
- Stir wet and dry ingredients together until just combined
- Fold in cheese and peppers
- Bake in a 8x8 dish for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean
If you use a smaller dish, increase the cooking time and check every 5 minutes.
If you use a larger dish, start checking your cornbread after 20 minutes.