I’m back and very happy to be back. I’ve been cooking up a ton of new recipes, but no time to write them down and definitely no time to snap pictures and post. The transition to Germany has been stressful and busy, but I have a feeling the worst is over. Things are finally falling into place and I can begin to focus on my much beloved blog.
When I get stuck in a food rut, I start putting together veggies and beans and take it from there. This dish is so warm and comforting and comes together in less than 30 minutes. The measurements of the veggies and even the rice are merely suggestions. It will taste delicious no matter what you add. Sometimes the aromatics of different varieties of rice change a dish completely.
The prep of the veggies does not take much time, so use a lot!
The finished product is delicious. It tastes amazing on its own, but even more so with some avocado and salsa on the top.
Here’s the recipe and here is the updated picture (added 3/15/15) with brown rice – super delish with any type of rice.
I hope you try it!
- 3 cups cooked jasmine, or brown rice (or whatever is your favorite)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (you could use just 1 15oz can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to your tastes)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- sprinkle black pepper
- Cook your rice according to the package directions
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil
- Add carrots, zucchini, and onion - saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft; stirring occasionally
- Add salt, cumin, coriander and pepper; stir through
- Add pinto beans and rice and stir through