So, how do you get zucchini shy kids to eat zucchini? Bake them, call them “fries”, and have something to dip them in. Having a dip makes everything better. Having a dip that is high in protein is the best.
This is the perfect dish for kids to help with. It is an excuse to get the hands dirty and there is nothing neat about it. It can be messy and it still tastes great.
I am always looking for ways to use up zucchini. I buy it almost every time I go grocery shopping. Since I use it, I guess I assume that I must replenish, then I am forced to find more ways to use it. Not a problem, I’ve got this.
There isn’t much about this that I don’t like. Zucchini dipped in egg and then bread with cheese. Let’s be real, that pretty much describes my diet.
I cut my zucchini to look like fries, but cutting in circles would work too. Dip in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture and then on a sheet sprayed with non stick spray.
Dinner courtesy of a 7 year old. I couldn’t have done it better myself. Ready for the oven.
400°F for 20 minutes and golden perfection. The zucchini still have some firmness, but the breadcrumbs are toasty and the cheese add a little saltiness. Oh, just wait until you dip it!
- 1 large zucchini
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Non stick cooking spray
- ½ cup non fat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 202°C
- Cut zucchini into desired shape, either ½" sticks or ½" rounds
- Gather two small separate bowls, crack the egg in one bowl and beat egg until the yolk and white combine
- In the other bowl, add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, mix together
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray
- Working one by one, dip each zucchini piece in the egg and then into the breadcrumb mixture and set on the baking sheet
- Repeat until all of the zucchini has been coated
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the breadcrumb coating is golden brown
- While zucchini is baking, mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside
- Serve zucchini fries with yogurt sauce