One of these days I will stop posting greek inspired salads. Today is not that day. It’s my favorite and I get such good feedback from everyone about salads, that I must post more. I’m obligated.
This is my favorite combination of foods. I could eat it everyday. Sometimes I do. I find no shame in that.
I’m not sure that health professionals could be more clear that a plant based diet is one of the best, and easiest, tools we have to ward off chronic disease. We really do say it until we’re crazy. The evidence, at this point, is overwhelming that eating more plants, over meat is beneficial to keeping the body healthy.
How, you ask? Antioxidants, phytochemicals, and vitamins/minerals essential for human function. For most people who do not receive adequate amounts of fruits/vegetables, their bodies are literally starving of micronutrients and antioxidants.
Well, lucky you. Tonight’s meal could get you several servings of fruits and vegetables. You could make this a main dish by adding marinated white beans or chunks of salmon or even shrimp.
And don’t skimp on the vinaigrette by using store bought. It takes less than 5 minutes to make. It all goes in a little container, shake and done. It’s an easy, fresh and healthy salad that will leaving you craving veggies every night of the week!
You’re going to feel so healthy after eating this! Enjoy.
- 3 cups lettuce/greens of choice
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup sliced or diced red onion
- 1-2 ripe avocados, sliced in cubes
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1-2 cups cucumbers, diced
- feta cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- pinch of black pepper
- Wash and chop all salad ingredients, except feta cheese and arrange in salad bowl
- Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small glass jar or container and shake well, set aside until ready to serve the salad
- Sprinkle the salad with feta before serving and drizzle with vinaigrette
- Serve immediately after dressing the salad