Let me age myself for a minute. Flashback, mid to late 80’s, sitting in our living room for Friday night TV. What was the favorite snack? Potato chips and french onion dip. Not just any french onion dip though, the one in the green and white tub.
While I haven’t had this in many, many years, it still brings back memories. Man, did my dad love this stuff (he probably still does, but knows better than to eat it now). We all did, there wasn’t much not to love back then with a treat like that, and when ignorance was bliss.
I started thinking about this favorite childhood snack a few months ago and just knew that I could make a dip that would taste just as good as the old french onion dip in the tub. I finally decided to try my hand at it just a couple of weeks ago and I’ve made it 3 times since then, it’s that good.
I am a huge fan of the onion and an even bigger fan of sautéed onions. I’m so glad I like them too, many dishes wouldn’t be the same without them. The onion is the star here. What really makes it special though is the creamy combo of greek yogurt and low fat sour cream. I don’t go low fat very often, but I really think that full fat sour cream is a little rich, so I dial it down a notch. I use 2% plain greek yogurt to add protein and creamy texture. This combo is perfect for absorbing the onions, olive oil, salt, and Worcestershire sauce.
Don’t skimp on the refrigerator time, this really needs the time to come together. It’s absolutely worth it.
- 1 medium yellow onion - ¾ cup chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup plain 2% greek yogurt
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- In a small saucepan, add 2 T olive oil over medium low heat
- Add chopped onions and ½ teaspoon salt
- Saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (if they start to get too brown, turn the heat down)
- After 10 minutes, add the Worcestershire sauce and turn off heat, keep in pan for an additional 2-3 minutes
- In a small bowl, add yogurt and sour cream and stir together
- Stir in onion mix with the yogurt and sour cream
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours