There is much to love about this soup. I LOVE homemade tomato soup and I LOVE spinach, so why wouldn’t I put them together? It’s a nice twist on a classic favorite.
If you haven’t heard, soups are the big trend for 2016 and I am absolutely in favor of that. Depending on the type of soup, it can be a figure friendly food. A broth and vegetable based soup, like this one, is low in calories, but high in flavor.
Even if you are not a vegan, this is a nice change to have a vegan dish every once in a while. It always makes me feel like I’m doing something good for my body, until I overdo it on the serving sizes and then I regret the decision for the second helping. Never mind, I don’t regret that.
I love this soup because you can make it a thinner soup or a thicker soup by just adjusting the liquid added. I love a thick soup, so I didn’t add a lot of extra liquid, but if you’re feeding a crowd, my suggestion would be to add a little more of everything. You really can’t mess this up.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves (2 if they are large, 3 if they are smaller)
- 4 cups packed spinach leaves
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- Optional: Extra spinach for garnish
- In a medium skillet over low medium heat, add 2T olive oil
- Add onions and saute until soft
- Add garlic and saute for an additional minute
- Add spinach and stir until wilted
- Transfer to a food processor and chop fine
- Add spinach mixture to a medium dutch oven
- To the spinach, add the remaining ingredients (except additional spinach), stir and simmer on low for 1-2 hours, depending on your desired thickness