Have you fallen short of your New Year’s resolutions yet? Maybe it was to lose weight or increase your intake of healthy foods? Maybe it was to eat cleaner. Maybe the resolve is to do all of that and then some.
I don’t hide the fact that I love a good salad. I eat one almost everyday. Not just because I’m a dietitian or because that’s what people expect. I really like it. A salad is never dull. They are different everyday and take a new shape depending on what I have on hand. It’s the ultimate leftovers makeover.
I love warm pieces of goodness in my salad. I really don’t know why I like this, perhaps it’s just because it’s a stark contrast. Just like texture and crunch, I love a little of that in my salad as well. It’s fun and it’s good!
So, this salad. It’s satisfying, it’s nutritionally complete, and it’s delicious. The cornbread doubles as my crunch and my love of warmth in a salad. The avocado add creaminess and the black beans add much needed protein and fiber.
And if you don’t try this dressing, and put it on everything in the next week, then I question everything I know about food. It’s amazing. We use it for green salads, taco salads, over rice, with beans, with chicken…it’s that good.
Make this your main dish salad, a healthy lunch, or a nutritional side for dinner.
- 2 cups cornbread, cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 ripe avocado, diced into cubes
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon country dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220ºC or 425ºF
- Place cornbread cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 T olive oil and ¼ t salt
- Toss to coat
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cubes start to brown
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool
- In a salad bowl, mix baby spinach leaves, black beans (warm for 30 seconds in microwave if desired), red onion
- In a small covered container, add the ingredients for the vinaigrette and shake
- When ready to serve, toss spinach salad with dressing and then add avocado
- When cornbread cubes have cooled, add them to the salad