They really should sell cardamom in smaller containers. The one I bought is huge and at this rate, it’s going to take me 10 years to use it up. That, or another overseas move where I give away all of my spices before we head out. I love to open it up every once in a while and just smell it. I’ve never smelled anything like it. It smells almost spicy and sweet. It smells like it wanted to be cloves, but then backed up and said “no, I don’t want to look like I’m trying to impress anyone, but I still want to be independent, spicy, and unique.”
What I’m saying is, I don’t use cardamom very often, but I love it. I’ll sprinkle a little in whatever I’m baking occasionally, but the flavor is so strong, I don’t want it to become the main event – until now. When I opened it up last, it smelled like Fall and mulled wine. Well, we are a long way from Fall and I really wanted something lighter. So, what is in mulled wine? Oranges.
This is also how we do dessert in our house. We make it special. We put it in separate bowls and save it for the end. Well, the people 7 and older save it for the end. My 4 year old eats it first. I have no problem with that.
Segmenting oranges is a little tricky if you’ve never done it. You slice the peel off and then take a small knife and cut around the membranes. It can be a little messy, so get some clean hands and do it over a bowl to catch the juice.
No cardamom? Use allspice or cinnamon, or even pumpkin pie spice – Make it your own.
No vanilla bean? Use a splash of real vanilla extract or just use honey and cinnamon to flavor the yogurt.
- 4 large naval oranges, peel removed and cut into segments - reserve juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Carefully cut the peel away from each orange and cut each segment out of the orange, or you can just cut the orange into segments after cutting away the peel and place in medium bowl with juice
- Separate the juice from the oranges - save the juice to drink
- Mix the oranges with the cardamom and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, honey, and seeds from a vanilla bean together
- Serve cardamom oranges on top of the yogurt