It’s getting warmer outside. There are two reasons why I love this.
- It’s not cold – I am not a fan of the cold
- Fresh food – I can’t stand heavy meals in the summer. I have always attributed my summer weight loss to this slightly strange attribute of mine.
I crave lighter and healthier meals in the summer. That’s my comfort food. Perhaps this is why dinner planning is a little harder. I don’t often do slow cookers or casseroles that take a long time in the oven. Don’t get me wrong, it still happens, but it’s not the norm.
I also do easy. My kids were outside playing for a solid 4 hours last night and never came in for dinner. When I started getting hungry, I didn’t want to interrupt them. I know these days don’t last long. My husband went for the leftovers in the fridge and I made these.
Sometimes, not always, do the recipes in my head turn out as perfect on the plate. I have many fails along the way, but not this time – thank goodness. I could probably eat these every night.
These would be perfect as an appetizer or as a side dish to your meal. Or, if you are like me, this is sometimes all you need.
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes or plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup frozen or fresh corn
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon red onion, chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out insides (you can save for a later dish or discard)
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, corn and salt
- Allow the corn to heat through and slightly brown
- Pour the warm corn into the 8 tomato cups
- Mix the red onion, cilantro and mozzarella cheese in a small bowl
- Top the corn with the mixture above
As a side dish, this will give you 4 servings, 2 cups per person
As a main dish, this will give you 2 servings, 4 cups per person