If you know my recipes, you know I am a no fuss kind of cook. I love easy. Life can get hard, cooking doesn’t have to be. This no fuss chicken chili is one of my perfect solutions for a quick week night dinner. It’s a dump recipe. Okay, that sounds gross. It just means that you dump everything into a pot, stir and let the heat do its thing. See? No fuss.
Here’s my disclaimer, the chicken has to be cooked. So, if you are like me and always cook up your chicken in advance (which by the way is an awesome time saver), this meal is for you. This also works with leftover chicken (BONUS! Saving money). If you only have raw chicken, spend a few minutes, poach some chicken and use the broth for this soup – holy cow, even better.
This recipe can also be easily cut in half for a smaller yield. As is, you are going to get 6-8 servings out of this, but it’s flexible recipe.
You could also do this in a slow cooker. MANY times, I make a throw all of these ingredients in a slow cooker and set it to low for 3 hours. Just enough time for all of the evening activities to come to a close and dinner is ready when I get home!
- 2 Tablespoons canola or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup finely diced jalapeno (cut out membranes and seeds or leave them in for more heat)
- 2 (14 oz) cans of pinto beans with liquid (this helps thicken the chili)
- 2 (4 oz) cans of diced green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked chicken (about 1 pound)
- Optional Toppings:
- Sour Cream
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Place a medium pot or dutch oven over medium high heat
- Add all ingredients and stir
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes
- Serve with optional toppings