If you have that craving for lasagna, but you just don’t know if you should give in, think about it a little more and make this! Zucchini lasagna is the perfect compromise between “I don’t really need the carbs” and “I really want lasagna.”
5 Reasons why I love this dish:
- Zucchini is high in vitamin C. Let’s all stay healthy for the holiday season, shall we?
- Ricotta is high in calcium and protein, 2 nutrients I need more of in my life.
- Tomato sauce is one of the most versatile products on the market. Sometimes I like to make my own, but when I’m short on time, I look for a jarred sauce with no added sugar.
- I don’t miss the pasta.
- The flavor is amazing. No lie.
Here is how you make it:
And here’s the recipe:
- 1 medium summer squash
- 1 medium green zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh ground black pepper
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups your favorite pasta sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- Slice zucchini on the long side into ½" slices and set aside
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Add zucchini and sprinkle with a pinch of each salt and pepper
- When it starts to get soft, turn over and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Remove and repeat with remaining zucchini, set aside
- In a small bowl, add ricotta, ¼ teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and egg and mix together
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In an oven proof skillet or baking dish add ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Top with a layer of zucchini, then half of the ricotta mixture and then half of the remaining sauce
- Add ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Repeat with a layer of zucchini, remaining ricotta, remaining sauce and remaining cheese
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is bubbly and brown
- Allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving