Sometimes, you need a quick lunch, but you are in no mood to settle for mediocrity. If the plan is to elevate lunch, pesto is where it’s at. Really, I could eat for days on pesto, tomatoes, and bread. Interestingly enough, I never get tired of that combination. I love everything about it.
I spoil myself by making my own bread fairly often. If you’re not a bread baker, try out a new bakery or grab a fresh loaf at the supermarket. When bread is a main part of the meal, there is no excuse for sandwich bread.
I also use good deli meat. I am too busy to worry about extra nonsense in my meat, so I buy Boar’s Head (no endorsement intended, just giving my opinion). In a perfect world, I would be able to roast my own chicken for lunch and slice it thin to add to my crostini, but I’m a mom of 3, trying to run a business, and every once in a while, I have to quilt a blanket for baby gifts (which I love!). So, if you’re wondering why I need a 5 minute lunch and don’t always have time to roast a chicken – that’s why:)
Let me tell you though, this is how easy it is to make these:
- 4 slices bakery bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons basil pesto
- 8-10 grape tomatoes
- 2 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz deli chicken
- Toast bread and spread 1 teaspoon basil pesto on each piece of bread
- Slice mozzarella cheese and cut into pieces and divide evenly onto each bread slice
- Slice tomatoes and add to crostini
- Divide chicken and place on top of tomatoes