It’s Recipe Redux time and our mission this month is:
In honor of Earth Day on April 22, we’re challenging ReDux members to show how they reduce food waste. Whatever you would normally toss, use it up. Share tips for reducing food waste in meal planning, prep or using up scraps.
Let me tell you. I have not ever used the stems of broccoli. Everyone says you can and people do all kinds of fanciness with them like ribbons and broccoli slaw – but I haven’t. Oh, how wrong I have been for so long. I am a new fan of the broccoli stem.
For this month’s recipe redux, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for me to take my maiden voyage on cooking with the stem. And I took it easy on myself. I knew if the stem was a little softer, then I would most likely be more successful. Challenge accepted.
I love a good cream soup, but it’s not the best for healthy eating, so I tried one more additional recipe trick that I hadn’t tried yet. Creaming white beans into a soup to “fake” the cream. Goodness gracious, it actually tastes good.
Don’t get me wrong, I love some cream, but I do try and limit myself. Also, it’s hard for me to justify the calorie load, especially when my kids have their heart set on dessert. It’s all about priorities. I’d much rather have the calories go toward dessert and not toward soup. It’s a darn good trade off, if you asked me, because the soup tastes amazing AND it’s creamy.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sweet white onion, chopped
- 6 cups raw broccoli, crowns and stems, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Non-Vegan Garnish: Shredded parmesan cheese, splash of half and half
- Vegan Garnishes: Chopped herbs
- In a medium dutch oven or pot, add olive oil over medium heat
- Add chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes
- Add broccoli and saute for another 5 minutes
- Add broth and bring to a boil
- Boil the broccoli until soft
- Turn off heat and add the broccoli and broth to a blender with the beans
- Blend until smooth
- Return to pot and add salt
- Serve with optional garnishes