Aren’t these the cutest? It’s hard to get a semi-healthy dessert around Halloween time. A time that is usually reserved for only the sugary-est of candies. These fruit filled candy corn colored parfaits are just what the doctor (and dentist, and dietitian) ordered. They will help balance the sugar that you are destined to ingest and make you feel good at the same time.
They couldn’t be easier to make. The most difficult part is whipping up the cream. So, why do I use heavy cream? Well, there’s one ingredient in heavy cream. And with whipped topping, while I’m not against them, there are many ingredients and some that are hard to pronounce. If you have the time, whip up some fresh cream. It doesn’t take a lot and each individual serving does not have a ton of cream on the top, so don’t stress over that.
I also love the coconut for the top. It adds a little crunch and some variety. It’s definitely optional though.
This is an easy treat for a Halloween party, or just a Halloween inspired lunch or dinner.
Here’s a handy dandy video to help you out!
Have a happy and healthy Halloween!
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups chopped fresh cantaloupe
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- Chop fruit into bite sized pieces and layer into small cups
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, add heavy cream and sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form - about 5-7 minutes
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, add coconut and allow to brown, stirring often so they do not burn - this only takes a few minutes
- Top the fruit with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top