Last week I was stumped. What to do for an after school snack. There aren’t a lot of days that we are home after school, so I felt in a snack idea rut. We usually are on the go, so snacks are typically something that is portable – oranges, apples, pretzels, popcorn…but I needed something different.
I just knew when LGP, the never gets full, will eat anything with the words “cream cheese” in it – 8 year old, gets home, she will head straight to the refrigerator. And chances are, if she eyes the cream cheese, she’s going to ask for it. I need to be prepared.
As most moms are, I was right. She saw the newly purchased pita chips and asked to dip them in…you guessed it…cream cheese. Healthy habits aren’t always inherited. Sometimes, it takes a while.
So, being the prepared mom I was, I grabbed a can of garbanzo beans and the rest of the cilantro from the refrigerator and yes, the cream cheese. I said “let’s make creamy hummus”. I had her at – creamy…
That is her hand right there as I was trying to take a picture. She obviously could not wait.
I’m sure you can’t either, here’s the recipe!
- 1.5 cups cooked garbanzo beans (1-14.5 oz can), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup low fat cream cheese (can substitute 1 small avocado)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Drain and rinse garbano beans
- Squeeze lime
- Rinse cilantro
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and process until smooth
- *Can add a little water to thin out if it is too thick