I’ll be honest. I don’t ever get tired of caprese salad. My family on the other hand, gets a little tired of me serving it 4-5 times in a week during the summer.
I found the BEST smelling tomatoes yesterday and I just had to have a caprese salad. My mission was to find a way to disguise this salad so that everyone would eat it.
That is my basil that I just got into the ground and realized that it was too much and needed to be trimmed. I wouldn’t dare trim a basil plant without actually having a plan of what to do with it. I trimmed too much to just add to my caprese salad, so I decided on pesto, that’s a different twist.
I know from the thousands of times I’ve made pesto that I need two cups. I picked a little more. I have plans for a margarita pizza soon. I have a foodie love with the colors of the Italian flag.
Here is a glimpse of my tomatoes. You know they are going to taste good if they smell good. Even HEP liked them and he is not a fan of the tomato, usually.
If you can find these little fresh mozzarella balls, use them. They are soft and not too salty, like firm mozzarella can be. They are usually packed in water. They are soooo good.
Fastest and easiest way to make pesto…blend. It doesn’t get much better than this.
Wait, it does get better. All of this together. I am totally content with this being my dinner.
You will be too…
- 4-5 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups fresh mozzarella, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ¼ cup raw unsalted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Chop tomatoes and mozzarella and place in medium sized bowl
- Place all ingredients for pesto in a food processor or high powered blender and pulse until smooth
- Add pesto to tomatoes and mozzarella