Those that have been following my blog from the beginning know that I prefer meat free dishes most nights of the week. I have never felt the need to be a meat and potatoes kind of girl and luckily I married a guy who feels the same. I am fully aware that this train of thought is not universally accepted. I make a lot of dishes that could have meat added easily or excluded just the same.
This is one of them. Perfectly content on its own, it would be delish with some shredded chicken or ground sirloin mixed in. Either way, it’s a crowd pleaser.
Soups are just easy, especially a broth based soup. And it tastes better after time, so this counts as a make ahead dish too. Get the veggies cooked and transfer everything to the crock pot. On low for 4-5 hours and you’re set.
I decided to do a Christmas base for this – ha! I do love the colors. That’s 1 small red pepper, 1 medium onion and a medium jalapeno.
Here are my spices and the masa harina. I add the spices to a bowl and then add some stock to stir it up before adding it to the soup. It keeps the masa harina from clumping. It’s a good little trick that I’ve picked up over the years.
Since I add avocado to just about anything, it was a must in this soup.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small/medium white or yellow onion, diced small
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 – 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons masa harina
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- In a Dutch oven or medium stock pot, heat canola oil over medium heat
- Add diced bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno, saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and saute for an additional minute
- Add tomatoes and allow the tomatoes to cook down, about 5 minutes
- In a small separate bowl, add masa harina, chili powder, salt, cumin, paprika, and coriander and mix with 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock – stirring out any clumps – add to the soup
- Add black beans, remaining stock, and lime juice and zest
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes