Have you ever had the soup from Olive Garden with the Italian sausage, kale, and potatoes? If you haven’t, then I beg you to not try it. You will forever crave it. I have never looked at the nutritional values for that soup, but I have a feeling I would be forever disappointed. Ignorance is bliss in this case.
Since we moved to Germany and do not have access to restaurants like that (can I get an amen for that?), we make our own at home. My kids ask for this soup by name. Have I mentioned my seriously unhealthy craving for Italian sausage lately? This too shall pass.
So, let’s think about this. Potatoes – one of my favorite and most versatile foods. Packed with vitamin C and fiber (because I leave the skins on – always). Kale – vitamin K, need I say more. My little one is constantly falling and I have more nicks on my fingers that I care to discuss, so in our house, we need a little extra vitamin K. Sausage – hmmm…protein? Really no health benefit there. Taste? Amazing!
Add in a little low fat milk, antioxidant rich onions and garlic and then some red pepper flakes for spice. Do I have you craving this soup yet?
The prep and cook time takes me about an hour total, but there is some down time in there while the potatoes are boiling their way to perfection.
This also makes a lot. Let’s see: 4 servings for dinner with 2 portions of seconds, 2 little girls each took this in the thermos for lunch and then a hungry mama may have had two servings for lunch today. Ten servings seems about right. If you are making it for your family, make the entire batch. Only need enough for you and significant other? Make half and save some for lunch tomorrow.
- 1 pound fresh Italian sausage
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1.5 pounds yukon gold potatoes (about 4-6 fist sized potatoes)
- 4 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on taste)
- 3 cups chopped kale
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown sausage until cooked, drain, and set aside
- In a medium to large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add diced onion and sauté until soft
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute
- Add potatoes and stock
- Turn up the heat slightly to allow the soup to simmer to cook the potatoes, add salt
- In a small bowl, add the milk and flour and whisk until combined
- Whisk the milk and flour mixture into the soup
- Add the sausage, red pepper, and kale to soup
- Turn off the heat and allow the soup to rest for 10 minutes
- Serve warm