One of the best pieces of advice on how to save money on a grocery bill is to buy seasonal produce. I’m not sure how much brussels sprouts are in the States right now, but here in Germany, I can get a 1# bag for around 50 cents. That’s pretty phenomenal.
Oranges are also inexpensive right now and red onions are always available. It is a win for your wallet. It’s also a win for your taste buds. I was actually crazy shocked at how much I LOVED this. I added my staple lemon vinaigrette, which I put on basically everything, and it was perfect.
For this salad, I sliced the brussels sprouts, just like I would with lettuce. I guess technically this would be a slaw, but I like calling it a salad. It tastes like a salad – a crazy delicious salad. And did you know that brussels sprouts are rich in vitamin C and vitamin K? This is a nutrition super salad.
Cruciferous vegetables, like brussels sprouts, have been extensively researched and may have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties. I should mention the kick of vitamin C with not only the brussels sprouts, but with the oranges AND the lemon. Do your immune system a favor and make this salad.
The add ins on this salad are endless. Toasted sliced almonds, dried cranberries, grapefruit slices would all be amazing in this.
Of course, the secret to this is to have great looking brussels sprouts. They are eaten raw, so quality counts. But here’s a secret. Do you have some in you fridge that are almost at their end? Peel back the leaves and you might reveal a beautiful edible sprout.
Enjoy this and make it your own.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1-2 oranges
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon country dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch sugar
- In a small jar or container, mix all ingredients for vinaigrette, cover and shake – set aside
- Cut the stem off of the brussels sprouts and remove the loose leaves
- Slice thin and place in serving bowl
- Slice red onion thin and add to brussels sprouts
- Peel oranges and divide into segments, add to salad bowl
- When ready to serve, pour vinaigrette over salad and serve