There are some people that swear by their slow cookers. I know people that use it at least twice a week. Some of the recipes aren’t the healthiest. A lot of them call for creamed soups and blocks of cream cheese. Trust me, it sounds amazing, but you can’t eat that stuff all the time. Sometimes, you need something a little more basic, a little more clean.
A soup like this could go by many names. Tortilla soup, taco soup, you know what I’m talking about. You can add just about anything to this. My soup is about as basic as it gets and I wouldn’t change a thing.
This is an all day soup. Set the slow cooker for 8 hours on low and let it default to warm. If your slow cooker is not that fancy, then just turn it off at 8 hours. It will be done well before that, but the chicken continues to soak in the broth and gets pull apart good. I put the whole chicken breasts in and then shred it when it’s done cooking.
I will totally admit that I’m a toppings girl. I love a soup that is a perfect vessel for toppings galore. This is the perfect blank canvas for all things tex-mex. Let your imagination run wild.
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 - 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 - 10oz can of tomatoes and green chilis
- 1 - 4.5 oz can of chopped green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons masa harina
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add 1 Tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat
- Add onions and sauté until soft - about 5 minutes, set aside
- Mix the masa harina with the water and set aside
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker in the order listed with the chicken breasts sitting on top
- Pour the masa harina and water mixture over the chicken
- Add the sautéed onions to the slow cooker
- Set on low for 8 hours and then keep warm
- After the soup is finished, take two forks to shred the chicken, which is moist and tender
- Top with chopped cilantro