I can’t be certain, but if I had to guess what would be on the list of the most popular New Year’s resolutions, getting healthy would be at the top. I was taking a look at the crowd at the gym today. Everyone looked relatively in shape. Anyone who is working out on New Years Eve probably already has a fairly steady workout routine. Monday morning it will be packed.
I don’t know what it is about starting the “diet” on a Monday. Maybe that’s why everyone hates Mondays, it’s diet day. I’m sure it’s about getting a fresh start, a clean break from the unhealthiness that plagued you before. I would totally start on the weekend, then you get a good two days of working out in before your week starts anew.
One of the biggest tools in weight loss or in maintaining weight is ensuring there is enough protein in the diet. If you’ve followed me for a while, you know that I only eat meat a few times a week, not everyday, but I know I’m not the norm, most people like their meat. Having protein at every meal is important. And not just any protein, high quality, lean protein.
For this chicken salad, I poached the chicken. I love to poach chicken. Not only do I get some good chicken broth out of it, but there is no added fat to the cooking. It’s a great method for those who are needing to shed calories.
And for the pesto – it’s just plain amazing. Pesto brings everything to a different level. I love to use it in just about anything. I made the pesto for this, but store bought is perfect. And how do you make an instant creamy pesto? Greek yogurt of course. I added a little lemon juice for freshness and some sweet apples. I used honey crunch, but anything would work. I needed a little sweet to balance out the savory.
This is perfect for a light lunch!
- 2 large chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 1/2 cup prepared or homemade pesto, basil or spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1-2 stalks
- 1/2 cup chopped apple, 1 small apple
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In a medium stockpot, fill with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add chicken breasts and boil for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from water and allow to cool off enough to handle (you can refrigerate the chicken or use immediately)
- Shred chicken, chop celery, and chop apple and place in a mixing bowl
- Add pesto, yogurt, lemon juice and salt, if needed
- Mix together and serve alone, with salad, or on bread