My children are probably worried each night for dinner. I would like to think that they are accustomed to my ways by now, but I still believe they have a little anxiety about something new for dinner almost every night. I am happy to say that most nights, they are completely content with my adventures in cooking.
I know that chicken and rice is one of those meals that is a staple in most homes. We have never been a traditional chicken and rice family, although I really do love both of these foods dearly. I mean that.
I also like to change things up. Why wouldn’t I try to add more veggies to dinner? This is the time of day that my kids eat their veggies. I am good with that. They get at least 3 servings of veggies every night.
The point is to make half of your plate vegetables. It’s not that hard and it’s an easy way to plan out dinners.
This dinner has onions, garlic, spinach, bell peppers, chicken rice, lime, cilantro and if you’re feeling crazy – white cheddar. I’m always feeling crazy.
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more for taste if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice (brown, jasmine, basmati)
- 2-3 cups cooked and chopped or shredded chicken (from whole roasted rotisserie chicken or chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock – if needed
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar (for garnish)
- cilantro, for garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Chop chicken
- In a large skillet, heat 2 T olive oil over medium heat
- Add onions and sauté until soft
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute
- Add spinach and allow to wilt down
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Add mixture to a food processor and chop fine
- Add back into skillet and add 1 T olive oil and chopped bell pepper
- Saute with spinach until soft
- Add rice and chicken to the veggies
- If the mixture is too dry, add stock
- Top with cheese and cilantro