In my head, I am the self-proclaimed queen of the quick weeknight dinner. I really don’t do a lot of difficult dinners during the week and if I do, it’s only because I have done it so many times that it no longer seems difficult.
There aren’t a lot of things faster than whipping up a pasta dinner and for this mamma, I need something I know my kids will eat and something that still has a bit of nutrition in it. Here’s my confession, we don’t eat whole wheat pasta all of the time. Another confession, I don’t really like it. Since we only eat pasta once or twice a week, it’s totally okay with me to have semolina pasta. As long as the other ingredients complement a healthy plate.
This was a no meat night. Partly because the credit card bill was a little high this month and I’m cooking from the pantry for a few nights, and partly because I walked out of the grocery store and realized that I didn’t buy any meat. With 3 kids in tow, I was NOT going back in for food that I forgot.
This is a light pasta, it won’t weigh you down and it’s a cinch to add even more nutrition. If kale was available right now, I absolutely would have added it in. Spinach would also be delicious in this. Just mix it in at the end with the hot pasta and it will wilt perfectly. No other cooking skills necessary.
I toasted the pine nuts before I tossed in the olive oil and garlic. One pot meals are the best. Add a side salad or some steamed veggies to this and you are a vegetarian’s dream. Take the feta out completely and you are a vegan in training.
- 8 oz angel hair pasta
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 14 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- In a large stock pot, fill half way with water and bring to a boil
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add pine nuts and roast until they start to brown and you can smell them
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and the 2 minced cloves of garlic
- saute for 2 minutes, stirring so they don't burn
- Add beans, sundried tomatoes, oregano, salt, red pepper, black pepper and heat through
- Add pasta and remaining ¼ cup of olive oil and toss to combine
- Add feta on top and lightly toss
- Serve immediately
Omit feta cheese for a vegan dish