Think – Banana bread in a cookie. Then add caramelized banana bread. I’m done here.
Words do not do these little beauties justice. I’ve actually made them twice in the last two days testing out this crazy idea I had for a banana cookie. My goodness, I love them. If you don’t love bananas, these might not be for you. However, bananas that are sautéed in a small amount of butter and sugar and then mixed in with more banana – amazing.
I used brown sugar for one testing and coconut sugar in the next and I have to say, the coconut sugar cookies are the ones you see here – they are the bomb! I usually shy away from coconut sugar in baking, but I just happened to forget to pick up more brown sugar at the store and I wanted to test this one again. In a pinch, I used the coconut sugar that was just waiting to be used and what a happy accident.
The coconut sugar also yielded a darker cookie and richer flavor, so I highly suggest it, although brown sugar makes a delicious cookie as well. I also love using kosher salt in these. The tiny taste of salt is a nice balance for each bite. I love a good sweet/salty combo!
The inside is moist and soft and perfectly snackable. My favorite is the chunks of banana in each cookie. I love a chunky banana cookie. After I was happy with the recipe as is, I started thinking about additions. Mini chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut…Oh the places we will go.
- 2 small to medium bananas, not overly ripe, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small mashed banana – about 1/4 cup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add chunked banana, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 T butter
- Saute until butter is melted and the sugar and butter start to coat the banana – about 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside
- In a medium bowl, add the remaining ingredients (except non stick spray) in the order listed, stir
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes
- Store in refrigerator