Oven dried tomatoes. Just as delicious as sun dried tomatoes. The perfect balance of sweetness, chewy, and juicy. So, why am I making oven dried tomatoes on a Wednesday? Two reasons. I filmed this recipe for Hungry & Healthy and I am trying out some recipes for a cookbook idea I’ve been working on. Both good reasons:)
I was pleasantly surprised at these, I actually couldn’t stop eating them. The combination of the texture and the concentrated sweetness is perfect. When they are warm, they almost melt in your mouth.
It’s also the time of year when we are having parties or being invited to parties and appetizers are on the menu. Let me remind you of the amount of articles you will read on “how to eat at holiday parties”, or “party food 101”, or how about this one, “how to lose 10lbs by eating what you want during the holidays”.
Don’t worry, I will probably write something. I wouldn’t be a good RD if I didn’t at least help my fellow foodies with this delicious time of year. Food is just part of this wonderful season. Thankfully, there are wonderful little nibbits like these tomato bites that are full of flavor, but not on calories, eat away.
Make some for your next party – and get one while they’re hot!
- 4-5 Roma Tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Quarter the tomatoes and place on a foil lined baking sheet
- Sprinkle with a small amount of salt (the 1/4 teaspoon is for ALL of the tomatoes – it helps draw moisture and the flavor concentrates)
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how much drying you desire
- Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs