Because sometimes you need a peanut butter cup…without all the extra sugar.
Yep, there is sugar in the dark chocolate, but there is no extra sugar in the peanut butter filling. And the darker the chocolate, the more antioxidants you’re getting in your body. This is a total bonus all the way around.
You could use any run of the mill peanut butter, but I like the fresh ground for this. Most major chain “health” stores, like Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme have their own peanut grinding machines and it’s actually not expensive, like you might think.
You pay by the pound and if you only buy what you need, it’s cheap. If you make your own at home, even better.
Here are my reasons for using fresh peanut butter. No extra sugar and it’s not as sticky. Regular store bought peanut butter is too sticky for this and doesn’t work as well. Fresh ground is the way to go.
These little minis are perfect for a quick chocolate fix. Sweet and salty, that’s my jam!
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup fresh ground peanut butter
- Using a mini muffin tin, line with mini muffin liners
- Either on a double boiler or using a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips (if using the microwave method, heat 30 seconds at a time and then stir – otherwise you might get burnt chocolate)
- In each muffin liner, spoon approximately 1 teaspoon melted chocolate in each
- Then spoon 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on top and lightly press down
- Spoon the remaining chocolate on top
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm
- Peel away papers and enjoy!