Have you tried zoats yet? If not, you’re in for a treat. Zoats, or zucchini oats, is a growing trend to try and get more veggies incorporated into every meal.
You might be thinking, “zucchini in oatmeal…gross”. On the contrary, zucchini has a pretty neutral flavor and work perfectly in oatmeal. It helps to bulk up the oatmeal and doesn’t add a “veggie” flavor at all. Zucchini is also very low in calories, so adding extra bulk doesn’t add a bunch of extra calories.
Nutritionally, this breakfast is packed. Oats are always a good choice for their whole grain and fiber content. Bananas give more fiber, plus potassium and vitamin C. Zucchini provides vitamin C, water and vitamin K.
Try this next time you need a change of pace for breakfast!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup 1% milk or whatever you have on hand
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 small to medium banana
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Add oats, milk, and shredded zucchini into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds (be sure to watch it so it doesn’t boil over)
- Allow it to sit in the microwave for an additional 1 minute
- Add sliced banana, coconut, almonds and maple syrup
- Serve warm and enjoy