White beans, red peppers, poblano peppers, onions, olive oil, spices…perfection. This is so good. Poblano peppers are my obsession right now. I think they’ve always been an “in” food in the culinary world, but I rarely use them. I always head straight to the bell peppers or if I need a little spice, I’ll pick up a jalepeno, but I rarely grab any other pepper. I’m not sure what inspired me to buy one, but I did and I’m happy about it.
There is nothing bad about this salad. Let’s just start out talking about the fiber. Most Americans, children and adults, are not getting enough fiber. That’s not just lip service, this is for real. It’s a real health concern. So, how can we all increase the amount of fiber in the diet? Eat foods like this.
Beans are high in fiber and guess what? So are vegetables. That’s pretty much what you get with this. What else do you get? Vitamin C from bell peppers, Vitamin A from poblano peppers, and antioxidants from red onions – tons of antioxidants from onions!
So, let me tell you what else I love about this salad? If you make too much, you can make dip – I LOVE dip! I love this dip. I can’t decide if I love the salad or the dip more. Man, they are both delicious!
If you need a salad for a picnic or a potluck, give this a try – it only gets better with time, so make it ahead.
- 1 15oz can great northern beans or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium bowl, add beans, bell pepper, poblano pepper and red onion
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle spices
- Stir and serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 4 hours