Only 5 minutes to make hummus? Yes! It seems that I’ve been making a lot of “quick” meals lately. I feel like I’m always strapped for time. Aren’t we all though?
Quick snacks are the key to staying healthy, in my humble opinion. It’s really easy to reach for a bag of chips or snatch a couple of cookies, but when it only takes 5 minutes to get this hummus made, there are no excuses.
No chopping, or mixing – throw it all in the food processor and done. Yes, there is the dreaded clean up. But really, I just rinse everything off right away and throw it in the dishwasher. So, give yourself 2 minutes for clean up. Not to rain on your parade here or anything.
I know there are some people out there who cringe at the thought of hummus. I say, don’t knock it ’til you try it. You’d be surprised at the amount of kids who devour hummus…with vegetables – can you believe it? Vegetables. Devoured by kids. Believe it.
Okay, okay, maybe some pita chips too. However, when you use whole wheat pita, sprinkled with some glorious seasoning and baked to crispy perfection, hummus becomes the perfect vessel for vegetables AND whole grains. You can’t lose here.
- 5 MINUTE CREAMY HUMMUS
- 1-15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- Garnish with extra virgin olive oil, smoked paprika and slivered almonds
- Serve with: Sliced vegetables, whole wheat pita
- Put all ingredients into a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth
- Start with 2 Tablespoons of water and increase to 3 Tablespoons if wanting a thinner consistency
- Pour into a bowl and garnish with extra virgin olive oil, smoked paprika and slivered almonds
- Serve with sliced veggies or baked whole wheat pita chips