Have you ever realized how many different dishes you can make with eggs? And then again, how many dishes can be made off a variation of the fajita. Here’s a tasty one.
“I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Nothing gets me geared up for recipe development like a good contest and this one is sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries. I received samples of many flavors and finally settled on working with two kinds. I loved the Sweet Onion and the Organic Sprouted Wheat.
In a world filled with no carb and low carb diets, I’m here to let you know there is a place in a healthy diet for bread. The serving size for the pita is one whole pita, but if you stuff it, you can easily get two servings out of it. That’s half of the calories and half of the carbs. That’s my game, I split it in half.
Toufayan Bakeries thinks that pitas have a place in a healthy diet too. If you want to see all of the flavors they offer, visit Toufayan Bakeries
It can be really hard to find a healthy meal that is not filled with large amounts of dairy or sugar. Don’t get me wrong, I love all foods, but I don’t eat ALL food ALL the time. I am truly about balance and I really try and balance my diet.
This recipe can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. That’s why I love it. It’s also pretty light on calories for a meal when paired with fresh fruit, salad, or a fresh fruit smoothie.
And, it comes together quickly. The longest part of this recipe is chopping the veggies. Grill or saute the veggies in a cast iron skillet for that good fajita flavor.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- non stick cooking spray
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons reduced fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 Sweet Onion Toufayan Pita, split in half
- cilantro for garnish
- In a medium sized cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add canola oil
- Add chopped red and green bell peppers and onions
- Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until the veggies reach a desired consistency
- Add lime juice and remove from heat
- In a small bowl, crack 2 eggs, add milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, whisk until combined
- In a non stick skillet over medium heat, add non stick cooking spray
- Add eggs and with a small spatula, move the eggs around in the skillet until they start to cook
- Continue stirring until fully cooked through, turning down the heat if necessary to keep them from burning
- Remove eggs from heat
- Split a pita in half, open and fill with half of the veggies and eggs
- Garnish with cilantro