When I first made this chocolate peanut butter “ice cream”, about 2 years ago, I was the ultimate skeptic. I really did not believe that a frozen dessert made entirely of 3 ingredients, with no added sugar, would taste truly amazing. Sometimes skeptics need to be proven wrong.
I was wrong, very wrong. 3 ingredients: Frozen bananas, unsweetened cocoa, and peanut butter. When blended together, they all become rich and creamy and it does not taste like banana ice cream. It tastes like chocolate ice cream.
I really believe that bananas are nature’s wonder food. They become creamy when blended into frozen treats and smoothies, they can replace butter or oil in baked goods and they are a wonderful source of natural sugars, vitamins and minerals. I always have bananas on hand, I use them for everything.
For my vegan friends, this is a staple and for my non-vegan friends, this should be a staple. If you are an ice cream addict, give this a try. We change out our toppings on this. Sometimes we add crushed peanuts, sometimes it’s carob chips and today it was mini chocolate chips. I love the crunch a topping adds.
If no added sugar is your goal, stick with the carob, nuts, or add fruit to the top. They all taste amazing!
If you don’t believe me that it actually works, watch this:
- 4 medium bananas
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Optional Toppings:
- Crushed Peanuts
- Carob Chips
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Peel bananas and cut into chunks
- Place in bowl and freeze until hard (a couple of hours to overnight)
- Place frozen bananas in food processor with cocoa powder and blend
- Scrape down the sides to incorporate all of the banana
- Blend until almost together and add the peanut butter
- Blend once more just until combined
- Portion out to 4 bowls and top with optional toppings