Truth be told, this was my post-workout snack today!
“I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
When Toufayan sends you pita, you use them. I went for a good run this morning with my main squeeze and I was absolutely starving about 5 minutes after we got back. Some people have no appetite after a hard workout, I am the exact opposite. My appetite kicks into high gear.
Toufayan has so many fantastic products and I am in love with their pita bread. To see a list of all of their products and to learn more, please visit: Toufayan Bakeries
For this tostada I used the Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat Pita. It has protein, fiber, and the carbohydrates I need to replenish the muscle glycogen I used for my workout. I added more protein, fiber, and carbs with the refried beans. I needed a little fat, so the cheese and little dollop of light sour cream for that and I just can’t have a tostado without crunchy, crisp iceberg lettuce. And the best part? No added sugar. Yes, I do watch it, I have to.
I toasted the pita first to make it slightly crispy, after all, that’s what makes it a tostada. Okay, pita isn’t traditional, but it works for me. It was the perfect vessel for this dish.
It is possible to eat bread on a healthy diet, especially if you are active. This pita is a great choice because of the protein and fiber boost you get from the whole wheat. We should all be eating more whole grains, which are an important source of B-vitamins in the diet, which are good for a healthy metabolism.
This would make a great quick lunch with a side of fresh fruit. Have fun with it and love your food!
Enjoy life with no added sugar!
- 1 Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat Toufayan Pita
- 1/4 cup vegetarian refried beans
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 Tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon salsa
- 1 Tablespoon low fat sour cream
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place 1 pita on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes or until the edges start to crisp
- Mix refried beans with chili powder, garlic powder and a pinch (1/16 teaspoon) of salt
- Remove pita from oven when crispy and spread refried beans on top
- Add lettuce on top, then add cheese, sour cream and salsa
- Garnish with cilantro if desired
- Serve immediately