If you need a fast dinner. This is about to be your go-to – I promise. FAST black bean and salsa chicken. Minimal ingredients, minimal times, maximum flavor! Let me break it down for you:
Canola oil, chicken, salt, pepper, salsa, black beans, cheese
You probably have all of these ingredients in your kitchen right now. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast. High protein, low fat. Trim any excess fat off the chicken to keep that unhealthy chicken fat out of your dish. Why? Because, you don’t drain the chicken juice – you don’t want to. You want all of that chicken flavor in your dish – delish!
Drain and rinse the black beans, you don’t want the extra bean liquid, it is not good here. In fact, you should always drain your beans. There is quite a bit of sodium in that liquid. Not needed. Rinse it away.
And that salsa! Choose the salsa you usually eat. If you like spicy, choose spicy, if you like mild, by all means, keep it low spice. I love using salsa as an ingredient in tex-mex dishes because it adds slow cooked flavor with low calories
Finally – the cheese! This is just not complete without the cheese. It’s a must. I used jalapeño cheddar, but monterey jack or plain cheddar would work just dandy, as well. I only use 1/2 cup, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but each piece doesn’t need a lot of cheese to taste good.
It’s simple, healthy, high protein, high fiber, and delicious. And it’s done in right at 20 minutes. It doesn’t get much better than that!
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (large pieces cut in half longways or cut in half to form normal fist-sized portions)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded jalapeño cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to broil
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add canola oil and chicken
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper
- Cook chicken 5-7 minutes on each side
- Use a meat thermometer and cook until chicken reads 165°F or slightly higher
- Remove from heat and add beans and salsa around the chicken
- Sprinkle the chicken with cheese
- Heat under the broiler until the cheese starts to brown, usually only 1-2 minutes