Welcome to the viewing of the my new favorite way to eat grilled chicken. I LOVE this marinade. It’s fresh, summer-y, and it combines many of my favorite flavors. Let’s not forget the health factor. Boneless, skinless chicken breast = loads of lean protein.
If you are not a griller, this can absolutely be made on the stovetop or in the oven. Cooking time on the stovetop is about the same as on the grill, but in the oven, it takes a little longer. Depending on the thickness of the chicken, it could take 25-40 minutes.
The marinade contains lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, dried dill, salt and pepper. My favorite recipes are the ones that I can’t screw up, no matter how hard I try. This recipe is a little like that. Putting those ingredients together in pretty much any combination is going to get you a delicious marinade.
In my humble opinion, this recipe will be your lifesaver for the hot summer days that will be here before we know it. I don’t know about you, but I try as hard as possible to leave the oven off at night. It’s just not cost effective and I really love a cool house in the summer. So, our grill gets a mighty workout in the summer.
Really though, there is only so much plain jane grilled chicken that one girl can take. That is exactly why this chicken recipe is divine. It’s different and fresh and it goes with everything.
Here’s a tip to help the chicken cook faster. If the chicken is really thick, cut it in half, lengthwise, to make it thinner. This is a great alternative to pounding it out. I find that by cutting it in half, I also cut the cooking time in half. Genius right?
The final product tastes amazing on its own, but makes a great protein for a salad, or served alongside a baked potato.
- 1.5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ Tablespoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a gallon sized food storage bag or in a sealed container, add all ingredients
- Coat the chicken completely with the marinade ingredients, seal up bag or container and keep in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Heat grill to medium high and add chicken to grill
- Cook on one side for 4-5 minutes and turn
- Cook on the other side for 5 minutes or until the inside temperature reaches 165°F (cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken)
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes after removing from the grill
These can also be cooked on the stovetop: Add 2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil to a cast iron skillet on medium heat and add chicken - cooking times are similar to the grill instructions
In the oven: Preheat oven to 376°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. Place chicken on sheet pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (once again, the cooking time will be based on chicken thickness)