I am always on the search for fast and healthy. Anything that can incorporate lean proteins and vegetables in one easy dish is a winner in my eyes. Tex-Mex is my favorite cuisine to cook. The flavors are bold and bright and it seems to me that there are endless possibilities with creativity.
Take this dish for example. We love chicken fajitas in my house, but I don’t always have the time to make tortillas or sauté everything up in a skillet. This was my solution for that. We get all of the same flavors without the hassle. Serve it with the same toppings as fajitas, such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce and you have yourself a one bowl meal with easy clean up, because we all know that clean up is the worst part of cooking.
If you have extra time, you could make up some cilantro lime rice or mexican rice to go with this and that would also be amazing.
It really couldn’t be easier. I try my best to make a good amount of recipes that a beginner cook could make with ease. Start with boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut it into bite sized pieces. Then, whatever size you cut the chicken, cut the peppers and onions the same. Put it all in a bowl with some canola oil (so it doesn’t stick) and spices, stir, and pour out onto a baking sheet. In the oven and done!
Like I said, couldn’t be easier.
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 small to medium sized bell peppers, varying variety, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 small to medium red onion, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, cilantro, sour cream, cheese or serve on top of mexican rice
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cut chicken, peppers, and onions and place in large bowl
- Add canola oil and spices to bowl – stir to coat
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a thermometer placed in a thick piece of chicken reads 165°F
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over chicken and peppers when it comes out of the oven
- Serve alone or with avocado and cilantro