If there’s one thing I know, it’s that if I want my kids to eat it, I find a way to roll it. I’m telling you, they will eat just about anything rolled in bread. Who am I kidding? That pretty much describes most adults. And while I never think that kids are just little adults, here, it works.
This dough is my go to for rolling, it works every time. We make all kinds of things with it, broccoli cheese, tex mex, pizza. It works.with everything.no kidding. This is the dough I use to make mini cinnamon rolls. See, I told you. I’m still experimenting with flavor combinations, but we’ve had more hits than misses in our house.
If you are a food sneaker (meaning you sneak food into your kids’ diets without them knowing), then here you go. This is a great way to sneak veggies in and protein, for the little ones who don’t like meat.
The pictures make it look like there is an excessive amount of cheese, also good for fooling kids. There’s not though. When you cut the rolls, the cheese on the ends melts on the top, giving the illusion of these rolls being made from massive amounts of cheese. I’m pretty sure there’s a saying, “if it’s covered in cheese, they will eat it.” If not, there needs to be.
Look how happy this kid is. And he’s the pickiest of my kids.
Here’s my video I made a while back, I just love it!
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 and ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour + a little more for rolling
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 thinly sliced ham
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium bowl add water and yeast (and sugar – if adding) and stir – allow to rest for 3-4 minutes to allow yeast to proof
- Add flour, salt and oil and stir – form into a ball and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Roll out on well floured board into a 12-14 inch rectangle
- Lay down the ham slices and then cheese
- Starting from the end closest to you, roll up into a tube
- Slice into even 1- 1.5″ pieces
- Arrange on a baking pan sprayed with non stick spray, leaving space in between
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven), or until the tops start to brown
- Remove from pan immediately
- Serve warm or at room temperature