It’s Recipe Redux time and our mission this month is to make a “healthy small bite dessert creation.” I will do this with pleasure. I am so lucky that my main taste testers are very opinionated, and I have a big girl taste tester that I can always count on for an honest answer.
These are low sugar, so it’s not the typical super sweet cheesecake that you might be accustomed to. Most no bake cheesecakes are loaded with sugar, but it got me thinking – is it the creaminess or the sweetness that most people love about cheesecake? I decided I like creaminess and thankfully, my taste tester agreed.
Using ripe apricots adds some natural sugar and sweetness that blends perfectly with the cream. Oh, about the cream, it’s actually high in protein – bonus! I blend together low fat cream cheese and low fat cottage cheese to get this creamy delight. It’s a little tangy, so I add some honey to break the tang and the texture is identical to the cream cheese/sugar mixture of traditional no bake cheesecakes.
I really don’t believe any respectable cheesecake is not complete without a graham cracker crust, I sprinkled some graham crackers on the top. One note on this, wait until you’re ready to serve this to sprinkle with the crumbs, otherwise, they will get all soft and mushy. No one likes mushy graham cracker crumbs.
This comes together in minutes and can be made ahead (except for those graham crackers crumbs), so wow your guests or your family with a delicious treat.
- 4 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons honey (plus more for drizzling – optional)
- 8 ripe apricots, cut in half with the pit removed
- 1 graham cracker – crumbled
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a food processor, add cream cheese, cottage cheese, vanilla and honey
- Blend until smooth
- Cut apricots in half, remove the pits, and place on a plate
- Add cream to a pastry bag or a food storage bag with the tip cut off
- Pipe 2 Tablespoons of filling on each apricot
- When ready to serve: Sprinkle with graham crackers crumbs and drizzle with honey and garnish with mint leaves
- *Can be made ahead and kept in refrigerator for 24 hours