I feel like after 3 Hello Fresh Boxes, it’s time to write a review. You can decide for yourself if it’s something you want to try.
I wasn’t sure how I felt about these meal delivery boxes after the first one, so I decided to hold off on my review. I ordered our first box way back in March, so it’s been a while since the first box. After the first one, I forgot to skip enough weeks, so I inadvertently had another box coming.
Then, just recently, I was taking a 12 day trip with my kids and leaving my husband and the dog home alone to fend for themselves. I ordered him a box, so at least he would have 4 decent meals while we were away.
These are an interesting thing for me to try because I actually really like to cook. I don’t mind shopping and I usually have the time. So, here we go…
- (Almost) Everything is in the box. I say almost, because they don’t add things like salt, pepper, or olive oil. Ingredients that are already most likely in your house. I also like how the correct amounts of food are in there – not a lot of measuring. I really don’t like measuring.
- The recipe cards! I should have made this number one. This really is my favorite. They are colorful, easy to read and follow and they make cooking enjoyable. At least for me. I will say, my husband doesn’t have any troubles following these recipes because they do make it look so easy. You have to have a small amount of kitchen skills to get this done.
- The recipes themselves are actually really good, very creative and are tested to ensure ease of cooking. Once again, you don’t have to be a chef to make these recipes – they did great testing.
- Nutrition. I wouldn’t say that everything is 100% nutritionist approved, but I would say 90%. They did a great job of trying to get a large amount of fresh ingredients into each recipe, while still relying on some shelf stable items to help make it more affordable.
- Time Saver. This saves you from going shopping. It still takes time to prep and cook the food, but saves the extra step of stopping at the store. For my husband, this was a the biggest advantage. No meal planning or shopping required. Perfect for the busy working adult.
- Choices. If you can remember that your box is coming, you get online and choose your meals. If not, you get the default options. For our first box, I chose family friendly meals, because we were all going to eat it, but for my husband, I chose meals that I knew he would be able to cook and also would be good for leftovers. It’s nice to have a choice.
- Portion Sizes. We are a family of 5, but I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old who don’t eat very much. I decided to get the meals for 4 people and stretch it to 5. If you are creative enough and add an extra side, such as fruit, it’s easy to stretch. If you have teenagers in the house, no amount of food will be enough:) Then again, if you get a meal for 2 and your husband cooks it for himself, portion sizing does not matter and he eats it all (see below). I think he liked it.
- Lack of email notifications. So, on my second box, I actually didn’t even realize it was coming until I saw my bank statement and saw the charge. I was disappointed by the lack of email notification saying that my box was on its way. For those who order each week, this may not be necessary, but for me, I forgot it was coming, so not only did I not get to choose what I wanted in the box, I was busy on delivery day…and I got stuck with fish that leaked all over my fridge (not a fan of the fish or the mess).
- Price. If you have a 2 income household where both adults work full time, then this is perfect and the price is not bad. If you don’t have 2 incomes, well, this may be a little too much for most families.
As you can see the Thumbs Up far outweigh the Thumbs Down, so if it’s something you haven’t tried. Look for a coupon code and try it out. Better yet, if you haven’t tried it. Share my page on Facebook and you might win a free box (up to $69.95). You may just get hooked!
Contest Details: Anyone who shares the Salubrious RD Facebook page on social media will be entered to win. Winner will receive a code to get a free Hello Fresh box (up to $69.95). Winner must be a new Hello Fresh customer and this is a one time use only code. You will be entered into auto-renewal, but can cancel anytime online with no hassle. Winner will be chosen on Thursday, July 27th 2017
*Hello Fresh did not sponsor this giveaway and did not ask me to write this post and I have not been compensated for this post or my opinion. All opinions are my own.