These are not safe around me. I LOVE lemon bars. So much, that I rarely make them, because the control is difficult. I think I’m just in love with lemon. This is why it was essential for me to find a lighter lemon bar.
My favorite dessert in the entire world is lemon meringue pie. I’ve never made it. Partly because I’m so intimidated by it and partly because I don’t want to disappoint myself. I don’t want to ruin my love for it by trying to make it lighter. I love the memories of it in my head.
The crust is filled with white whole wheat flour and pecans. The filling is loaded with fresh lemon juice which makes them super tangy and balances out the sweetness. Add the zest to the filling for even more lemon flavor. The zest should never be wasted if you can help it.
They are a cinch to make, but they take a little time. All good things are worth it. Perfect for any occasion, potlucks, game night, Tuesday night…all nights. I crave a little piece of sweet after a good meal and these fit in with just about everything.
Keep these in the fridge until you are ready to eat them – they are best served cold.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shelled pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl, add whole wheat flour, pecans, salt, butter, canola oil and stir until combined and until the mixture is crumbly
- Spray a 8×8 pan with non stick spray and add flour mixture, press into the bottom of the pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and set aside
- In a small bowl, add sugar, lemon juice, zest, eggs, flour and baking powder and whisk well until mixture starts to get frothy (about 3 minutes)
- Pour on top of crust and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean
- Sprinkle with a small amount of powdered sugar, if desired