I love our Recipe Redux challenge time! It’s our once a month challenge for registered dietitians to create a healthy recipe for a specified theme. It definitely keeps the boring out of blogging. This month, our mission is:
“Whether you go slow or fast, just don’t turn on the oven. Show us how to keep the kitchen cool by using one of these appliances: Slow cooker, instant pot, pressure cooker.”
That’s the truth! I try very hard to keep the oven off during these super hot days. Here in my neck of the woods, our high is supposed to be 101°F. That sounds lovely, doesn’t it? Um…I think I’ll stay inside. Even my air conditioner has a hard time keeping up.
These are the days for the grill and the slow cooker. I haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot train yet, but I’m sure it’s coming. Burrito bowls, taco bowls, rice and beans…whatever you call it, this is one of my family’s favorite meals.
I love that we take a night off from meat and have some plant based protein. This is all goodness right here. The slow cooker makes this a cinch. Toss everything in, turn on high, 3 hours and done! That is just enough time for me to run some errands, take my kids to practice, or just relax. AND with a little help from some convenience foods, I don’t turn on the stove or the oven.
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (not instant or quick cooking)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10oz can of tomatoes with green chilis (mild or hot - your choice)
- ½ cup diced green peppers
- ½ cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups water
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, lime, cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker
- Set on high for 3 hours
- Enjoy with optional toppings!