I have finally found a bar that my family actually really wants to eat. No kidding. I test out a lot of recipes and they don’t always work. Most notably is my quest for an energy bar that my children and my husband will happily eat and will ask for after they’re gone.
Success! My kids asked for more. “Hey mom, do you have anymore of those bars?” – That’s all I needed. I can share now. I am pretty sure it is the chocolate chips that pushed them over the edge from “kind of like” to “like a lot!”
I get it, it’s a little early for pumpkin, but I’ve had this can of pumpkin in my pantry since Fall of last year and it’s been calling me for a while.
If you didn’t know, pumpkin can be used to replace butter in many recipes. I used a combination of pumpkin and applesauce and added some honey for sweetness. The chocolate chips are not optional…just kidding. If you can’t do chocolate, add something else you like. I also added pecans to mine, but these bars can be made nut free
These are perfect for lunch boxes, snacks, quick energy on a hike, breakfast…or just to have a treat.
I love that these have so many good ingredients, oats (a whole grain), pumpkin (source of vitamin A), unsweetened applesauce (no added sugar), eggs (protein), honey (gotta have some sugar).
Store the extra bars in the fridge to keep them fresh…if you have any extra.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour (white whole wheat, unbleached all-purpose, or whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium mixing bowl, add oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice
- Mix and make a well in the middle and add eggs, pumpkin, applesauce, and honey
- Mix until just combined and add chocolate chips and pecans
- Spray an 8X8 dish with non stick spray
- Pour batter evenly into pan
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting