Double.Chocolate.Zucchini bread. Wow, this is good. I really didn’t think there was any way to improve zucchini bread. I love plain, classic zucchini bread, but add some cocoa and dark chocolate chips and it’s a whole new ballgame.
I get into a baking kick every once in a while and I bake and bake. I never keep it all. There’s a good reason why most of my “bread” recipes make 2 loaves. Make one and give one away. Who doesn’t love the gift of bread?
I love using my loaf pans too. The picture above is one of my favorites. If I can find a vintage pan, I buy it. They are the best. There’s just something about a vintage piece of cookware that makes me happy. Just think of all of the love that was baked before you found it.
Some people are still scared of baking. Quick breads, which is what this is called, are usually one bowl recipes. This one is. I do this all in one bowl. I hate dishes, so I minimize the amount I have to wash. Quick bread is a bit deceiving. It’s quick to put together, but it does still take some time to bake. So, don’t go thinking this bakes quick. It’s totally worth it though.
Zucchini bread is the perfect solution to a big zucchini harvest, or maybe a great sale. Cheap zucchini is good zucchini. Maybe you have a zucchini that was forgotten in the bottom refrigerator drawer, shred that baby up and make some bread.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, about 1 large zucchini (shred into a colander and let the excess water drain out)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 2.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or 2 cups all purpose flour and ½ cup white whole wheat flour)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- On a box grater on the large shred, shred zucchini into a colander and allow the excess liquid to drain out
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs
- Stir to combine
- Make a well and add remaining ingredients, except non-stick cooking spray
- Stir until just combined
- Spray 2 loaf pans with nonstick spray and divide batter evenly between the two pans
- On the middle rack, bake bread for 40 minutes
- Insert a butter knife into the center of the bread and pull out. If it is clean, the bread is done, if it has batter on it, continue baking another 5 minutes
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing