I have many friends who buy those little packages of mini-muffins and their kids go crazy for them. They are a quick and easy snack. Did you know that they are really easy to make? I have my go-to banana bread recipe that I can whip up in one bowl and these mini-muffins are done in 15 minutes.
For me, they are dangerous. Perfectly pop-able and delicious. I do use a traditional recipe, so there are no super healthy shortcuts here. But as always, I do find a way to cut down on the sugar and butter. I’m feeding a growing family and I can barely keep up with the amount of food they devour in a day. I’m trying to keep it as healthy as possible, but come on – sometimes, you just don’t have time to make a flax egg.
I do portion these out for easy snacking and store them in the fridge. That’s the first place my kids look when they come home. It’s almost instinctual. A strange attraction to the cold food to see what new goodies mom has brought home from the store today. Having them portioned out is also great for snacking on the go. If you don’t eat in your car, then these aren’t a good choice for car eating. It is bread and with bread, there will be crumbs.
This is a great recipe though. It’s easy to add other ingredients to it. Mini chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, stir in some peanut butter. It’s super versatile. Like I always say, some recipes are just a blank canvas. It is possible to get many recipes out of one simple recipe. You just have to use your imagination and have some faith that your creations will turn out just fine.
I hope you try this one. It’s a keeper.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup very softened unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 cups all purpose unbleached flour (or 3/4 cup AP flour and 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium mixing bowl, add bananas and mash
- With a sturdy spoon, mix in sugar and butter and stir until creamy – about 30 seconds
- Add vanilla and egg, stir until mixed in
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and stir until just combined
- Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray
- Fill each muffin slot with batter, about 3/4 full
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are light brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean