These sweet potato waffles are so good, you will never know there are sweet potatoes in your waffles. They add just the right amount of seasonal flavor for that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. AND they’re waffles, so you really can’t go wrong.
I have a favorite waffle recipe and I will often add different flavors to give myself and my family a little variety. I like to make a big batch of waffles and put them in the freezer in packs of 2. My kids LOVE waffles in the morning, so if I have the time, I like to freeze them.
I’m not a standard syrup girl, I’m a toppings girl. I held back on these, because I really wanted to slather them in apple butter. Apple butter on everything, I say. Who’s with me? I love all the flavors of Fall!
There are just so many recipes that sweet potatoes can be added to. They are an exciting ingredient. Waffles, pancakes, muffins, and brownies are just the beginning. They can also be made into chips, or a substitute for crackers and even bread.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional gem. High in beta-carotene, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, and fiber! They were the superfood before superfoods were a trend.
I love sweet potatoes with eggs, so it might be safe to say that I value the sweet potato as a breakfast food or perhaps I’m just transitioning to more savory flavors in the morning. Who am I kidding? I love breakfast foods at all times of the day.
If you don’t like sweet potatoes, it’s okay. I’ll post my regular waffle recipe soon:)
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1 3/4 cups reduced fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Optional Toppings: Pecans and Maple Syrup
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked sweet potato, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon
- Mix well until smooth
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, salt, and baking powder
- Stir all ingredients together
- Bake according to your waffle maker’s direction
- Serve with optional toppings or your favorite toppings