“I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Pomegranate Cinnamon Applesauce. That color. Homemade applesauce is such a fun and unassuming blank canvas. It’s so easy to make. If you’ve ever made your own, then you know it can be chunky or smooth. I like it both ways.
The sweetness of the apple will determine the sweetness of your applesauce. There’s no need to add extra sugar, in my opinion. And…I leave the skins on. What? There are very few recipes where I remove the skins from my apples. Two reasons. 1. Have you ever taken the skins off apples? It’s laborious. 2. I do not like to throw nutrients in the trash.
This applesauce was made with pomegranate juice, which gives it this beautiful color. I usually make it with water, but this adds the perfect amount of pomegranate flavor. A little tart, a little sweet.
POM Wonderful is spreading the word on the benefits of 100% pomegranate juice. Here are some delicious facts for you:
• POM Wonderful 100% Juice is powered by antioxidants. The pomegranate is whole-pressed, meaning a unique blend of polyphenol antioxidants from two whole pomegranates – including its fruit, pith and rind – is found in each 8 oz bottle.
• Research that includes POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice uses 8 oz per day in its studies on muscle strength recovery, memory and cognition, microbiome, and more.
• POM Wonderful 100% Juice is a good source of potassium. Each 8 oz bottle contains as much as a medium banana.
One of my favorite bits of research is on its potential as an aid in post exercise recovery. It’s so refreshing after a workout, this is pretty exciting:
100% pomegranate juice is powered by unique polyphenols that early research suggests have promising results for post-workout muscle strength recovery. Certain types of polyphenol antioxidants, like those found in pomegranate juice, may help increase nitric oxide bioavailability by protecting it from breaking down in the body. Nitric oxide helps your body get the oxygen and nutrients in needs during exercise.
*Although the research reported is promising, additional clinical research is needed to establish causation and the potential impact of pomegranate polyphenols and exercise.
Try adding pomegranate juice next time you make applesauce. You – and your entire family- will love it!
- 4 medium red delicious apples
- 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Core the apples, slice and add to high powered blender
- Add pomegranate juice to the blender
- Blend on high until apples and peels are blended together – about 20 seconds
- Add to a medium saucepan and turn heat to low
- Add cinnamon stick, cover and vent with lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove cinnamon stick and chill