The beginning of a new year for many people is the start of healthy living all over again. The holidays tend to make us all feel very guilty about the food we’ve consumed over the past two months. Luckily, January always comes around with new resolutions to help us feel better about getting healthy. It’s something to look forward to. These Sesame Ginger Lettuce Wraps are going to keep you on the right path to healthy eating in 2018!
There are many days when I like to eat a little lighter and today is one of those days. I’ve been overdoing it on the bread lately.
This meal was perfect for something on the lighter side. I really like ground chicken. Please don’t ask me why, I really don’t have an answer for it. It’s really lean and easy to work with and it’s done in a flash. Unlike, a large chicken breast that always leaves me feeling like I need to cook it more.
You could certainly use ground turkey with this also. They are interchangeable in my book. If you make asian style foods often, then you probably already have all the ingredients for this in your house. I keep fresh ginger in the freezer and take it out whenever I need it. It’s really easy to grate that way too.
Everything else is pretty standard. Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar – those are staples. You could use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder, but I think the powder adds a little something. I also worry about garlic burning on some dishes, so that was my main reason for using the spice instead.
Finally, that iceberg lettuce. Most lettuce wraps will tell you to go get Bibb lettuce. Well, to be completely honest, it’s not very accessible and iceberg is available everywhere. I particularly love the crunch and crispness of the iceberg over other lettuces.
This entire meal comes together in 20 minutes. Pair it with some roasted carrots or a fresh salad and fruit for a light lunch or dinner. Happy New Year!
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Large pieces of iceberg or bibb lettuce
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- In a medium or large saucepan over medium high heat, add canola oil, ground chicken breast, and onion
- Cook until the chicken is no longer pink
- Add hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic powder and stir
- Turn heat to low and add sesame seeds and sesame oil
- Turn heat off and remove from heat
- Cut iceberg lettuce into large pieces
- Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture into each lettuce piece and garnish with fresh scallions
- Wrap up and enjoy