It may be summer and sticky icky hot outside, but there is always room for a warm bowl of soup. In the summer, the best soups are broth based. Lighter, more hydrating, and full of summer veggies.
Chicken soup is a classic comfort food. It reminds most of us, of a time when things were simpler and less busy. There is definitely a reason this type of soup has stood the test of time. It’s easy, inexpensive, and of course, it tastes like home.
Chicken soup traditionally uses root vegetables, so I did the same and added a slight update with some fresh green beans. Carrots, celery and onions are a must have for any chicken soup. I added in season green beans and fresh parsley. Add in that yummy shredded chicken, and it’s a winner.
I go heavy on the vegetables. I mean, why not? This is dinner. Half of your plate should be veggies, so that is how this soup should be.
What’s another secret to this soup? Poaching the chicken and then using that as your broth. The flavor is slow roasted, but it won’t take you all day. It is possible to have a hearty, homemade meal that doesn’t take all day.
If you have 45 minutes, you can make this soup. It’s even shorter if you already have cooked chicken and some boxed stock. I encourage you to try this method from scratch. I think you’ll like it.
- 2 pounds fresh chicken breasts, bone in
- 10 cups water
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large carrots, cut into thin slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 10 large fresh green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Extra drizzle of olive oil, optional
- In a large pot over high heat, bring 10 cups of water to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and add chicken, simmer for 25 minutes uncovered
- Remove chicken from water with tongs and set on a cutting board to cool
- Optional Step: Strain broth to remove any chunks you don't want - but you can keep all the flavor if you desire
- In another large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat
- Add carrots, celery, onions, and green beans
- Sauté for 5 minutes
- While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken with 2 forks and discard the bones and any skin - keeping only the meat
- Add the garlic and salt to the vegetables and sauté for an additional minute
- Pour the broth over the vegetables
- Add the shredded chicken and let rest over low heat for 5 minutes
- Add parsley right before serving and stir into soup
- Drizzle with olive oil if desired