It’s Recipe Redux time and this month’s theme is “Kids That Cook.”
My kids aren’t in the kitchen too often these days. School and swim team take up the majority of their time. I like their weekends to be spent having fun with their friends. They love to create though and are often my sounding board when I’m trying to think of new recipes to create.
When I thought about this month’s theme, I wondered how I would get them in the kitchen. I knew whatever recipe I chose, it had to be fast, sweet, and easy. You can’t go wrong with brownies.
I got this beauty to help me in the kitchen this morning.
We obviously don’t dress up to bake. I’m actually not even sure who’s sweatshirt that is – it’s entirely too big for her. Style has no impact on how good our food tastes – thank goodness.
I promised a healthy swap out for these brownies. Sometimes we go all out with our brownies and put in ALL the sugar and butter that makes a brownie, well, a brownie. But when it’s not a special occasion and we are making brownies just because we want something sweet, we swap out. I use bananas in place of the butter and instead of using straight up sugar in this recipe, we are using raspberry jam! Yum!
I’m not going to say they taste like sugar and butter filled brownies, they don’t. I get so annoyed when I read recipes where the blogger swears that their super healthy cookie/brownie/cake tastes JUST LIKE a traditional one – wrong, they don’t. So, take my word for it – these are definitely delicious and my kids LOVE them. I like to underbake them just slightly, so they have a bit of a fudgy texture, but for more of a cakey texture, go the full baking time.
I hope you try these at least once, I think you’re going to love them!
- 2 medium bananas, mashed well
- ½ cup raspberry jam, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup reduced fat milk
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash banana and add ¼ cup jam, vanilla, and egg
- Stir to combine
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and stir to combine
- Stir in milk
- In a 9x9 baking dish, spray with non-stick spray and pour brownie batter into pan
- Take the remaining ¼ cup jam and dollop small teaspoons on top of the batter - take a toothpick and swirl into the batter
- Place the chocolate chunks on the top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes on the center rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before cutting