The combo of butternut squash and sausage comes up a lot in my recipe collection. I love it. The slight sweetness of the butternut squash with the salty and sometimes spiciness of the sausage are perfect pairs. This pizza is made with a fresh crust and mozzarella. In all honesty, if you are cooking the squash and sausage all before assembling this pizza, it could take a while to make. If you have frozen butternut squash, or leftover squash and leftover sausage, this comes together rather quickly (with some rise time on the crust).
This crust is so flavorful and so universal. I added the rosemary, but you could add any herb you like, or nothing at all. Also, this pizza does not have any sauce other than a teaspoon of olive oil to help get the crust golden brown. The crust is crunchy and chewy, just like you hope a pizza crust will be.
Pizza is my favorite lunch to make. I would also consider it on the top of the list for favorite foods. I always say that you are only limited by your imagination in the kitchen. If you’re not very creative in the kitchen, you probably hate that I would say that, but I truly believe it. You really only need to know a handful of methods or recipes by heart to be able to make many, many more by just swapping out some of the ingredients.
If you learn one thing from this recipe, learn how to make the crust. This crust will make 2-3 servings, but you can double it to serve 6 easily. I double this recipe when I make pizza for my family. I press it out as thin as I can and cook it on high heat for fast cooking.
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash
- ½ cup cooked pork sausage
- fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, add yeast, rosemary, salt, water and flour
- Mix until all ingredients are incorporated
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 500°F
- Spray a pizza pan with non-stick spray
- Place dough on pan, drizzle with olive oil and press out to a 12" circle
- Slice mozzarella and place on the dough
- Arrange butternut squash and sausage on the top
- Bake for 12 minutes or until brown and bubbly on the top
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes and garnish with parsley or cilantro