This makes me want to overeat. Perhaps you caught my post yesterday and my fascination with all foods Indian style. This is my newest love, Chicken Curry with Mango Chutney. Warmth and comfort in a pan right here. This recipe uses my spicy mango chutney, but if you don’t feel like making that and want to use a store bought chutney, your chicken curry may be a little sweeter, nothing wrong with that.
My husband isn’t complaining with all of the new dishes I’m testing out. I believe this one is a favorite too. It comes together so quick. There is no marinating and minimal chopping, so this easily works with a 30 minute timeframe – perfect for weeknights. Keep some extra red pepper flakes at the table if you like more heat. This recipe is perfect for kiddos, it has minimal spice, even with the chutney. The cream base really balances it out.
You can also add rice to stretch your dollar and servings on this, that would be so good!
I picked up some whole wheat naan bread at our local grocery store, but that is next on my list of recipes to test. I have a feeling I might get accustomed to homemade naan and won’t be able to go back. That would be okay, because we are moving overseas soon and I need another bread to add to my repertoire. I can’t stand the frozen bread they ship over there, so local or homemade is all I can do – and it’s hard to find all types of bread when I need them. I will have a naan recipe before we leave this summer, mark my words.
In the mean time, I will continue to experiment with Indian spices to find new dishes I love. I am working on some recipes that don’t use a cream base, although, they are pretty tasty – it can’t be my standard. I also want to incorporate some lentils and more vegetarian dishes, so I’m excited for my new food love.
I hope you try this – enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup diced red or yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup coconut milk (not canned, use a light coconut milk suitable for drinking, like Silk)
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon flour
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add canola oil and chicken
- Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside
- Turn heat to medium
- In the remanning juices and oil, add onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1 minute
- Add all spices and mango chutney and stir together
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, half and half and the teaspoon of flour
- Add to the skillet and stir
- Allow the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer and let it thicken
- When it starts to thicken, add the chicken back in and keep warm until serving
- Add extra red pepper flakes if you like a little more spice